Saturday, December 15, 2012

Magic Bags (Christmas gift idea!)



I came up with an idea for a "Teacher Gift" this Christmas.  You just can't have enough of these hanging around your house, so even if our teachers have one, I'm sure they'd appreciate another.

(Edited: These are great to heat up in the micro-wave for muscles aches or to keep in the freezer as a cold compress.)


These Magic Bags start out as a rectangle of fabric, 11"x16".  (I used a brushed cotton, $5.00/meter.)




I folded the fabric so that the outside was in, and sewed the 16" long edges together, and then sewed up one of the ends.


I turned the fabric right side out and filled it with just under 2 lbs of rice (I think 1.88 lbs was the final weight.)

I folded the final open edge in on itself and pinned it together, sewing that last bit together.

  

 You can give this away or keep it for yourself.


Total cost: $2.00


This is the poem I've written to attach to each one:

This Magic Bag, all filled with rice,
Works hot or cold; it's mighty nice!


Keep it cool to soothe a knot
When a cold compress hits the spot

Or warm it up to soothe an ache
and ward off cold from snowing flakes

This handmade gift brings Christmas cheer
And wishes for a blessed New Year!


2 comments:

  1. Do you heat it for use, is it for muscle aches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I usually heat mine for around 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I have a friend who loves to keep hers in the freezer for aches and pains. Why not make two and have one hot and one cold? :-)

    ReplyDelete